Friday, August 27, 2010

PSA? What PSA?


We traveled to Salt Lake for an appointment with the Oncologist that we had seen previously. I was able to have blood drawn, get the infusion for the bone strengthener (Pamidronate), and get set up with an Orthopedic Oncologist and Radiation Ocologist. I had my infusion on Thursday and got my PSA results back. Drumroll please.... 1.6!!!!! With an Alkaline Phosphatase of 39! These are the lowest scores in recorded history!! (for me) To say that we were stunned and excited doesn't even begin to tell the story. We believe that it is a combination of the Ketoconozale, Pancreatic Enzymes, and a gift from God. Throw in some strict dietary restrictions and other parts of this protocol and we think we are making some progress. Last month the PSA went from 21.3 to 14 so this is the second month in a row of substantial decline in PSA and AlkPhos. Very good signs. We are hopeful that it will continue. As others who live month to month by lab results know, things can change quickly, but we are establishing a good pattern. Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. It is working and we are constantly aware and reminded of all of our beautiful friends.
One note of sadness...
We have just been made aware that our good friend Ellsy, that I had treatment in Reno and Tijuana, passed away. Her, and her husband Ron, were the ones responsible for throwing me my 40th birthday party while in Mexico. Ellsy is on the far right of this picture. She was one of the bravest people I have ever met. Through pain and tough times she always had a smile, a kind word, and thoughtful support for everyone she met. She fought hard and testified of her love of the Savior. She was, and always will be, a true inspiration to me and my family, as well as many others. I want Ron to know that she is loved and will be missed greatly. I have the deepest love, admiration, and respect for both of them and wish Ron all of the comfort that God can grant him. He is a true gentleman and Ellsy was a beautiful lady.

All my love,
Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment