Friday, September 23, 2011

Points of View

I was thinking about how some of my postings can have very different reactions from different people. For instance, a recent post about making whatever time I have left to be relevant and meaningful struck a few as though I was giving in to this disease, but others took it as an appreciation of time being short and an opportunity to fulfill responsibility. I received a couple emails that were very concerned that I had given up the fight. It can be hard to convey very specific emotions in writing about these types of subjects. I think partly because many of those that read my blog have a very tough fight of their own. I wondered why there could be such a wide spectrum of perception about my writings and that of others who chronicle their journey, as well. What occurred to me was that many who read what I write are emotionally invested to some degree. Some are invested with me, many others with their own battle or that of a loved one. If you consider that almost everyone who reads this could put themselves on a scale dealing with loss - Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance. This is kind of a long way to go to illustrate my point, but necessary. If someone is writing from a place of acceptance, but the person reading it from a place of anger or denial, they may have a much different perspective of the writing than was intended. This doesn't just deal with writings, but in many ways of understanding where someone stands who has an illness or a loved one who is trying to cope with the eventual loss of someone dear to them. Unless we truly walk in that person's shoes, we can't see what they see. We can't judge or criticize their dealings with a trial, when it is likely that we are not in the same place as they are. We all deal with loss or potential loss at our own pace and with our own comfort level. We can't question someone who seems to be in one phase longer than we were in that phase. It has to be enough to walk out our own trials at the pace that emphasizes the lessons that God would have us learn. Christ was the only one who could take on the pain and trials for all of us. The rest of us must be content to stand by those in trials and offer love and support. Maybe through empathy and compassion we will be able to better understand the view of our fellow man.

No comments:

Post a Comment