Sunday, August 28, 2011

To explain a bit...

My last post seems to have left some wondering if I had given up the fight. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even the timeframe given by the doctor is not much of a concern to me. There are as many variables as there are patients, and the doctors realize guessing a timeframe is like picking winning lottery numbers. My point was that sometimes in this battle, you know that this disease generally ends up winning eventually, with some exceptions, but you have to get some things said before it is time to say them. The wake up call for me is that I do have some important things to accomplish before I shuffle on. They all involve parenting like I am there, when I might not be. Videos and journals take a substantial amount of time, and while I have been working on them, this was a reminder that things can accelerate and I really don't know how much time I have. So it is time to get serious about serious things. Even if I went unrealistically optimistic and said 5 years, my son would be 18 and my daughter 16. There are a lot of things that a Dad needs to say to his kids after those ages. A more likely answered prayer might be 3 years, with my son 16 and daughter 14. Imagine what you might feel necessary to write or video for your children if you don't get a "live" conversation after that point. So, for me, it is time to celebrate Today, and know that I have a lot of work to do. I intend to do it to the best of my ability, and pray continuously for a miracle.
Love you all!
Brian.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brian,
    Had to look at your blog...seems that you keep late hours. We are sort of in the same boat in that I have been on a watchful waiting program for a good number of years. I feel as though I am just waiting for the disease to win so I decided I couldn't wait any longer. There have to be better solutions out there that people...smarter than I...are aware of. Take a look at my site, www.prostatecancercures.org. There may be some useful info there for you. I am at tm@prosatecancercures.org if you case to hook up.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete