Saturday, June 18, 2011

Moving on...

I had my CT Scan and Labs on Wednesday and met with the doctor on Friday. It seems that the effects of the Chemo were very short lived and my cancer has progressed. I thought from the pain in the bladder and guts that it might have and that was confirmed. The tumor from the prostate is growing further against the bladder putting a pinch on it that is pretty painful without pain meds, so I am back on the regular schedule of hydrocodone and morphine. The morphine works well, but I fight fatigue with it. No other choice right now. I go to see the surgeon on July 5th to see if there are some other options to take some of the pressure off of my bladder and other guts. The PSA came back and, while I knew it would be up, it surprised me by jumping from 14, 8 weeks ago, to a 98. That's doubling 2 and a half times in 8 weeks. So what this means is that it is obvious that Taxotere has done what it could and we need to move quickly to Abiraterone or Zytiga. Same drug. Abiraterone is the clinical name and Zytiga is the brand name. It has had some nice success for people like me. It is another hormone blocker, but this one stops the Adrenal Gland from producing testosterone and also the cancer cells themselves from producing their own hormones. Tricky little devils aren't they? It was found that the cancer cells can produce their own testosterone among many other things, including cholesterol. So that is what a cancer patient is up against. Highly aggressive, highly adaptable, rapidly multiplying. I was going to write this update last night, but I received an email that took all of the energy out of me. A man named Ted that I was in Reno with and shared experiences and treatment options with passed away. While I only knew Ted for a short time, the loss felt substantial. We sat next to each other for 2 weeks, 6 hours a day in Reno and talked about everything. He fought Lung Cancer(worked in Auto Body for many years) with everything that him and his wife Kim had. They are an example of marriage that how-to books should be written about. If you want to learn what marriage is really all about, hang around someone that has been diagnosed with a serious illness or disability. The ones that tell you that they have a good marriage are not giving it enough credit. You could not have found selfishness in Ted and Kim's marriage with a microscope. They are such an inspiration to my wife and I and I pray for Kim's strength and support. She has fallen hard because she and Ted flew so high. I will miss Ted and I hate this disease for its uncanny knack for taking the best ones.
All for now.
B.

No comments:

Post a Comment