Tuesday, March 23, 2010

New Developments...

Last couple of meetings in Salt Lake and then we are heading back to St. Louis tomorrow. I had an appointment at Huntsman Cancer Institute on Friday for a follow up Lupron shot and blood work. My PSA had risen to 3.2 from 2.14, but we were hopeful that the Lupron shot would knock it back down since we thought we were due for one. Unfortunately, I had received the 30 mg shot, which is a 4 month dose, instead of the 22.5 mg shot, which is a 3 month dose. So my PSA was rising after 2.5 months on a 4 month injection. Not a great sign. So I did not get the shot, but they drew blood for testosterone, PSA, and Alkaline Phosphotase. Alk Phos was good at 65, and testosterone was at 7, so Lupron was working fine. The bad news is that my PSA had risen again to 4.9. This indicates that I am likely hormone refractory, which means that the cancer is growing independent of the testosterone. I will follow up with doctors at Siteman Cancer in St. Louis, but it is very likely time to look at new options. I knew this would happen eventually, since the Lupron is a temporary remission, but I thought I would get closer to a year instead of 2 or 3 months. This is a very aggressive cancer. We are doing about as well as could be expected with this. Still putting one foot in front of the other and always one day at a time, but I feel like I am on a speeding train with no way off. It only takes one piece of good news to break this pattern of tough news, and I am ready for it. I need it to warm up so I can go fishing.
Love always,
B.

1 comment:

  1. Brian --- I am praying for a piece of, not just good, but GREAT news for you! Parke and I miss you and your family, but are glad you are going to be "home" since this has helped my overall outlook tremendously. I so enjoyed Theresa's reference to "divorcing" cancer --- She is wonderful! I just know in my heart that things are going to go well for you, with all the love you have in your family! After you get settled, please let us know how you are doing, and also how your Foundation is progressing... xox Donna

    ReplyDelete